Saturday, March 18, 2017

Writing by Computer

After I post an item, I usually read and reread the post--many times over. Maybe I'm in love with my words, I dunno. Maybe I'm checking and rechecking for grammatical errors, misspellings, and clarity of expression. Often I have to edit.

My latest post, only minutes ago, had three such errors. I have had to edit three times. I did not type manner when I meant manager, through when I meant their, but I will own up to the fact that I needed to correct a sentence that implied our superintendent is elected.

What's my beef?

I get compliments on my writing. I'm not bragging; it's context for the next paragraphs.

I read other blogs. Grammatical errors, misspellings, and tangled logic appear in the writing of educated people, teachers, even ELA teachers.

It is the bane of computer writing. The mind sees what it thinks it typed, not what was actually typed. Not even spell check helps because if the word is in the spell check dictionary, it doesn't get flagged.

What's the point? It is this: We have tested our school children on their writing skills via computer in the last two weeks. If competent adults, even English teachers, are subject to errors because of the medium, why do we judge the ability of our children when they make mistakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment